Pages

Thursday, May 7, 2009

Penne Pasta with Italian Sausage

I have this recipe that I love that is for an Italian sausage and cream sauce for pasta (I even submitted it to the Chi Omega cookbook we did in college). For some reason I think this is such a great meal, but I don't think my family agreed when I made it for them years ago. Due to the unhealthiness of the dish, I had only made it once or twice. However, a couple years ago I decided to make this dish and try it out with turkey sausage and the fat free half and half my mom started buying. I think this low-fat version is a winner and Kris seems to enjoy it, so maybe you will too. :)

Ingredients:
1 lb turkey sausage (Even though my recipe calls for 1lb, I only cook 1/2lb and freeze the other 1/2)
1 can diced tomatoes (I love the ones flavored with basil/garlic/oregano but plain are good too)
1 small onion
1 c fat free half and half
2/3 c white wine
Parmesan cheese (shredded is better than the grated/fine version for this dish)
Penne pasta (or the shape of your choice)

Directions:
1. Brown turkey sausage with onion and drain fat2. Add white wine and boil until it almost evaporates3. Add can of diced tomatoes, including juices, and let simmer for a few minutes4. Add half and half and then simmer on low. The sauce won't get very thick and will remain somewhat runny since we eliminated the heavy cream.5. Boil pasta and then toss with sauce and parmesan cheese


Tips - I usually make the batch of sauce and then refrigerate half since I am only cooking for 2. That way I can make fresh pasta the next night and it tastes like new again.
If I think about it when cooking I will add some garlic to the sausage while browning.

1 comment:

  1. Kate (Gusmer) ColeJune 11, 2009

    Emily - I was just perusing the recipes on your blog and this looks delish! I think I'm gonna try it one night soon. Seems like reduced-fat/calorie substitutions usually work well in pasta recipes. By the way, have you ever tried the Gimme Lean ground sausage? It's amazing.

    Anyway, love the blog!

    ReplyDelete