Pages

Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Broccoli, Chicken, and Rice Casserole


Since my last few posts have been very unhealthy foods, everyone must be wondering what I eat on a regular basis (obviously too much or I would have lost some weight by now!). Tonight I am going to make one of my favorite casseroles, which evolved from one my mom used to make. She would often make this dish with chicken, broccoli, and cheddar cheese and I can remember one day asking for rice to be added. I would be willing to say I probably requested this for dinner at least once a week, and it would always be waiting for me when I came home on school breaks (just like the pimento cheese at my grandmother's house). We now have a version that has stuck around, and I can even get my anti-broccoli eating husband to admit this casserole is a keeper.

Ingredients
1 cup rice (I use white but try others if you want)
1 package of frozen chopped broccoli (the block size, not the bag)
Approx. 1 chicken breast shredded or cubed (I have come to use leftover rotisserie chicken, but will also boil a breast or omit if I don't want to make it)
1 can cream of chicken soup (I use the 98% fat free)
1 spoon of light mayo
Milk
Dash of lemon juice
Salt and pepper
Parmesan cheese

Directions
1. Cook rice according to instructions - it is best if you use chicken stock instead of water or a mixture of both
2. Dethaw broccoli and strain good (the microwave works just fine)
3. Mix together soup, mayo, milk, lemon juice (if you have it on hand), salt, and pepper. The mayo can be omitted, but I think it helps make it creamy. As for the milk, I usually pour it directly into the soup can and about halfway full and scrape out all the extra soup left behind. If you have some of the fat free half and half I would use that instead of the milk
4. Combine rice, broccoli, and chicken in casserole dish
5. Stir in soup mixture until well blended. I often add some parmesan to the entire mixture
6. Top with parmesan cheese
7. Bake at 350 until bubbly (20 min or so)



I hope you enjoy this just as much as I do! This is a basic recipe that you can easily alter to become your favorite.

1 comment:

  1. I got the recipe from your mother (or maybe you) a few years ago.I make a variation of that where I do not use the cream of chicken soup I make my own cream sauce. I didn't have cream of chicken soup once and had to improvise. I make a rue then add chicken stock for the liquid. Then I add skim milk and fat free half & half. I think it is creamer than with the canned soup.

    ReplyDelete