Pages

Thursday, February 11, 2010

Chili


I should've posted this recipe before the super bowl and big blizzard we just experienced, but better late than never right? Anytime there is a chill in the air coupled with a rainy day I automatically crave chili. I know everyone has their own version of chili and you can debate forever whose is best. I think this is a great starter recipe for you to make your own adjustments to if desired. This recipe comes from my friend Taemi, who also gave me the chicken brining instructions...I told you she was a great cook. I love having a recipe to follow as chili was one of those non-recipe recipes in my house growing up.

Chili

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups chopped onions
8 large garlic cloves, chopped (I used just a couple, not the full 8)
3 pounds ground chuck (we've used both beef and ground turkey and I think the turkey is better)
1 to 2 bell peppers
5 tablespoons chili powder
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes with added puree
1 15 ounce can diced tomatoes
1 14 1/2-ounce can low-salt chicken broth
1 12-ounce bottle beer (use a dark beer if you have it)
1 6-ounce can tomato paste
1 15- to 16-ounce can prepared chili beans
Cheese, sour cream, scallion, tostitos to garnish

Directions:
1. Saute garlic, pepper, and onions are translucent, about 8 minutes.
2. Add beef/turkey and saute until brown, breaking up meat with back of spoon, about 5 minutes.3. Add chili powder, cumin, basil, oregano and thyme. Stir 2 minutes.
4. Mix in crushed tomatoes, chopped tomatoes chicken broth, beer and tomato paste. Simmer until thickened to desired consistency, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking, about 1 hour 15 minutes.
5. Mix in beans. Simmer 5 minutes.
6. Season to taste with salt and pepper and any other seasonings you like. If it gets to spicy/acidic add a little brown sugar.

No comments:

Post a Comment