Pages

Sunday, December 13, 2009

Hot Browns


The Brown Hotel is a historic hotel in downtown Louisville, KY and the birthplace of the Hot Brown. According to the hotel's history, it was a hot spot for dinner dances in the 1920s. After the guests retired their dancing shoes for the night, they were always hungry for a late night meal. This led the chef at the hotel to come up with the Hot Brown. It is a delicious open-faced turkey sandwich with a mornay sauce (fancy name for a parmesan cream sauce). I hope you give this a try the next time you have turkey leftovers (or chicken would work too). If you visit the Brown hotel's website they have their recipe posted, yet I made a few adjustments to make it less fattening (i.e. I didn't use heavy cream).

I made this a couple weeks ago so I don't remember my exact measurements, but I am just remaking the bechamel sauce I use for mac and cheese, just slightly thicker.

Hot Brown

Ingredients:
4 to 6 pieces white bread
Turkey breast
2 T butter
2 T flour
1 1/2 c milk
1/2 c (or more) grated parmesan cheese, and extra to sprinkle on top
4 to 6 slices crispy bacon
Tomato slices
Salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
1. Melt butter in mixing bowl in microwave
2. Add flour, whisk, and then microwave 30 seconds
3. Add milk, whisk, and microwave at 2 minute intervals until thick (just like macaroni so see that post for pictures)
4. Once thickened, add in cheese to melt and salt and pepper to taste - you now have a mornay sauce
5. Toast bread slices and remove crusts. Place in a baking dish (I used 4 pieces but had lots of extra sauce at the end so you could do 6, possibly 8, pieces)
5. Place generous amount of turkey on top of bread.
6. Top with tomato slice, if desired. I left the tomato out when making it for myself and Kris.
7. Cover with mornay sauce and then top with some extra cheese.
8. Put under broiler until cheese melts.
9. Top with bacon slices and enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. This looks delicious and perfect for this weather! Hugs, Val

    ReplyDelete