Pages

Thursday, September 17, 2009

Cheesecake Swirl Brownies

I saw this recipe and had to give it a try. I have always wanted to try a brownie from scratch recipe so I started with this one. I figure it has been a while since I brought treats into work, so hopefully they will get some good reviews. The brownie batter tasted a little bitter, so I am skeptical on how the final product will taste.

This recipe came from the blog Smitten Kitchen. The batch she made look much prettier than mine, but I am just not skilled in the swirling part yet. :)

Ingredients:
1 stick unsalted butter
3 oz unsweetened chocolate
1 cup sugar plus 1/3 cup (keep separate)
2 whole eggs plus 1 egg yolk (keep separate)
1/2 t vanilla; 1/4 t vanilla
2/3 c all purpose flour
8 0z cream cheese, softened
chocolate chips

Directions:
1. Melt butter and chocolate (I did it in microwave but do it stovetop if you must).
2. Whisk in 1 c sugar, 2 eggs, flour, and 1/2 t vanilla
3. Spread batter into a greased 8 in baking dish4. In separate mixing bowl, whisk together cream cheese, egg yolk, 1/3 c sugar, and 1/4 t vanilla until smooth. Dollop over brownie batter (this may have been my problem - I just put it on in a layer) and swirl with knife.5. Top with chocolate chips.
6. Bake at 350 for 30-35 min
Smitten Kitchen tip - get brownies really cold before cutting


For you fellow weight watchers folks - these are 6 points a piece (16 servings). Guess I won't be trying them after all!


***Updated recipe 3/5/2010
I made these at the request of a friend and I accidentally bought 60% cacao bittersweet chocolate instead of unsweetened. So, this time I used 1 oz unsweetened chocolate (leftover from the first time) and 2 oz of the 60% chocolate. I didn't change anything else and I must say, this version is better! It has less of a kick to the chocolate so give them both a try sometime and be your own judge. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment